Release mode: Coordinated but limited disclosure.
Ref : TZO-092009 - Nod32 Evasion RAR
Vendor : http://www.eset.com/
Security notification reaction rating : Good enough
Notification to patch window : 14 days
Interesting background statistics:
Time required to coordinate disclosure and write the advisory: 2,5 hours
Time required to find the bug : 25 minutes
Disclosure Policy :
Affected products :
- ESET Smart Security 4 (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET Smart Security 4 Business Edition (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Exchange Server (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET Mail Security (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Lotus Domino Server (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET File Security (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET Novell Netware (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET DELL STORAGE SERVERS (before 15/04/2009)
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux gateway devices (before 15/04/2009)
- Command line version : NOD32 prior to 3.0.677
Quote:"ESET develops software solutions that deliver instant, comprehensive protection against evolving computer security threats. ESET NOD32® Antivirus, is the flagship product, consistently achieves the highest accolades in all types of comparative testing and is the foundational product that builds out the ESET product line to include ESET Smart Security."
The parsing engine can be bypassed by a specially crafted and formated RAR archive. Details are currently witheld due to other vendors that are in process of deploying patches.
A general description of the impact and nature of AV Bypasses/evasions can be read at :
The bug results in denying the engine the possibility to inspect code within the RAR archive. There is no inspection of the content at all.
IV. Disclosure timeline
- 04/04/2009 : Send proof of concept, description the terms under which I cooperate and the planned disclosure date
- 09/04/2009 : Resend notification with an indication this will be the last attempt to responsibly disclose.
- 09/04/2009 : Eset acknowledges receipt and previous receipt and apologises for not being able to answer due to an internal miscommunication. Patch will be deployed on the 15th of April.
- 09/04/2009 : Ask where changelog/advisory will be posted to
- 09/04/2009 : Eset responds that credit will be included in changelogs
- 17/04/2009 : Release of this advisory